Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Eileen-III is Back, and Evie-II is Here!

Thank the LORD.

Eileen-III was finally fixed. Motherboard, RAM, LCD panel---all replaced at once. An additional amount of nail-biting time later, she POST-ed, and finally booted into Windows 11.

The path to get here took quite a while. Like before, the parts took a while to show up, but after it did, the installation was more tedious than difficult for the technician, who had to come down for the third time.

When the display finally showed some life, I just went ``hallelujah!''. But at that point, we were close to disaster as the technician was of the opinion that due to Eileen-III's storage set up is a RAID 0, the SSDs will be corrupt and needed to be reformatted.

I didn't think it was the case, and was adamant to not have the two SSDs taken as two separate disks instead of the original single striped drive.

The Intel Rapid Storage tool showed that it could detect the RAID-array, and that it was failing. A quick look at the UEFI data showed that the second SSD was not detected. I managed to convince the technician to reseat the second SSD, and et voila, the RAID 0 worked, Windows booted, and everything was well.

At least from the hardware perspective.

There were some minor software issues, but that was quite straightforward to settle.

And thus, Eileen-III is back.

------

After three years, I succumbed to the temptation and bought a new Steam Deck OLED from Shopitree. I first learnt of this from the iShop Changi website, where I actually was thinking of buying the Steam Deck from. But then I realised it was being fulfilled by Shopitree, and then realised that Shopitree was the industrial arm of GameMartz, a store that I had seen in Plaza Singapura that carried the Steam Deck. The delivery was supposed to be today, but they delivered it one day early, which is fantastic.

And I'm out of just a bit north of fifteen hundred dollars. Oh, the tempered glass protection? Best done just after unboxing, and before doing anything to avoid all the inevitable lint and what-not.

So now, I finally have a Steam Deck. She's called Evie-II. She's not the first portable hand-held gaming device---the old Dingoo A330 from 2010-08 is. So I'm retro-calling the Dingoo A330 as Evie.

``Evie'' means ``life'', an apt description for a handheld gaming device.

The case that Evie-II comes in can be split up into a harder inner lining that reduces the amount of space taken up by the entire case, while still providing protection for the protuding parts. The case itself is roughly the same size as the case for my HHKB2, which is an interesting coincidence.

------

This evening, I'm heading out to audit a masterclass in dizi---the first time that I am auditing any masterclasses. Should be interesting. But first, I will get some mala-hotpot for today's OMAD meal.

And that's about the update I have for today. The off-in-lieu is going to go away soon, and from tomorrow, it is back to the regular grind.

Till the next update.

No comments:

Post a Comment