Friday, November 29, 2013

Yet Another NaNoWriMo Win.

After 29 days of gruelling writing, I have finally finished this year's NaNoWriMo entry entitled ``disturbed''. The long and short of it is this---it is bad, very bad, exceedingly bad, superlatively bad. The inspiration for this story began in mid-October, where I was feeling somewhat homicidal for some reason, and thought, `hey, wouldn't it be a great idea to try something different and write a disturbing piece of fiction instead of the relatively PG stuff that I had been writing?' I was all ready to go and what have you, but since it was mid-October, I couldn't start on it. But when November rolled in, I realised to my horror that I didn't feel the same kind of... feeling that I had then. And so the entire premise of a disturbing piece of fiction started sizzling out before it got really hot. But I've tried my best and have written 50051 words on it. It's horrible---easily among the worst things I have written.

But I had a streak going. Can't just break it like that, right? Already I didn't finish one thing this year (that whole PhD mess), so I should try to climb out of the rut and finish something that I had initiated after all.

And yes, now, I have the manuscript, that I promptly will burn up and refuse to acknowledge its existence. It is that bad. It is so bad even for a first draft that I'm not ever going to release it for consumption. I've given myself a little leeway in suggesting folks to ask me privately for the work, but frankly, after writing the last twenty thousand words, I'm not really that comfortable letting people into this particular aspect of my headspace.

Good riddance for this year's NaNoWriMo. D=

------

Side note 1: Shostakobvich's Ballet Suite 2 (Romance) is a strangely fun piece.

------

Side note 2: I think I realise why I don't blog that much any more. Partly it is because I lead a slightly more mundane life, partly because I am keeping most of my thoughts in a paper diary, but partly because Blogger is now getting more and more dysfunctional for use. First they made the HTML editing mode so darn painful to use (why is the custom width of the fixed-width text removed?). Next, the whole layout-with-widgets concept is full of bugs---I added the new NaNoWriMo win badge to my Scribbling blog and it took me a good ten minutes to get it into place. Some of the problems that I was facing include duplicated image elements (what), the new demand of a title for the image (What), and the really terrible saving of the template (WHAT). I know it is more WYSIWYG like now, but its operation is terrible. Is this the way to encourage people to switch over to using Google+? That I'm not so sure. I'm starting to wonder if it is more cost effective to just host my own blogs on one of my servers, and no, it will not be based on Wordpress. It'll probably be a nice Pylons based thing that I write, because apparently that's what I'm doing a lot of these days.

Whelp, that's most of it. Time to get back to reading more books and to stay away from writing for a while. I have this feeling of re-writing that fantasy piece I started on last year for next year's NaNoWriMo, but I think I'm one year too early to be planning for that.

Till next time.

No comments: