Saturday, February 14, 2015

4k

So some time back while I was waiting for the time to pass before I meet up with Ivan and consort, I walked into one of the electronics store and checked out one of those new-fangled 4k displays that are on the laptop. I must say that I'm... impressed in one way and completely baffled in another.

See, at 4k resolutions (I think it just means that one of the dimensions is within delta of 4000 as opposed to having only 4000 pixels), there is only one way to use it---scaled mode. Running the screen at the ``smallest'' text setting a la Windows 8.1 scaling yields a text size so small that even I cannot read, which is ridiculous considering that I actually can read the teeny tiny fonts on Edythe-II, which are at a more modest 2.5k (over 13.3 inches diagonal).

I don't think that I'm going to consider getting a 4k resolution laptop in the future---what Edythe-II has currently is fantastic. However, if I'm intending to use that machine as a dumb client to some servers to run command-line programs only, then perhaps the ridiculous resolution will work much better with the GNU Unifont with its fixed 8×16 character cell size. Already on Edythe-II I can have 4 vertical screens of text/code---maybe on a larger screen I can eke out 8? As far as I know though, what Edythe-II has at the moment is sufficient, even with the GUI heavy stuff.

I... don't really have anything else to say. Work is still ongoing, life is getting better, and I'm... missing someone. That's about it I suppose.

2 comments:

Brian said...

I miss you too Mun-Thye

The_Laptop said...

And I miss you too!

Unfortunately, I'm referring to someone else here. Sorry. >.<