Sunday, December 18, 2022

Slow Entry

Okay, we're in the end stretch for 2022. What better thing to do than to write something here now?

It's been one interesting ride for the past two weeks. My team had been a cosy small number of full-timers until our numbers suddenly swelled up by fifty percent due to the new staff finally coming in.

I'm excited at what we can achieve. I'm fearful of the mis-steps I might take being their leader.

Moving on, I've been reading The Science of Nutrition (4th Edition) by Janice L. Thompson, Melinda M. Manore, & Linda A. Vaughan, and a thought came to me.

Just what is the power rating of an ``average'' human?

Using the 2000 kcal per day requirement, that's about 8.368 MJ (1 kcal being equivalent to 4.184 kJ). A day has 86.4 ks, so the average power of a human (assuming no nett change in mass) is around... 96.9 W. Combining this terrible estimate against the around 20% of energy use of brain (as seen from the table in this Wikipedia entry), we're looking at a crude estimate of 19.4 W for thinking, on average.

What does it mean? No idea. Just a random thought.

I have been mulling over getting a Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition (32 GB) for the next iteration of the Eirian series of e-ink readers, mostly because Eirian-IV has been with me since January 2016, nearly seven years. But Eirian-IV is still generally in good operating form, battery-wise. I'm still running close to the 4 GB space limit, but it is not that big a problem for the most part.

Ah well.

Anyway, it's a short entry. I lost a lot of momentum while writing this---it is getting a bit late, and I really ought to go turn in earlier.

Till the next update then.

No comments: