Sunday, January 03, 2010

Quick Summary

So, a quick summary of what I had written in 2009:
  1. 136 poems posted here
  2. 138 essays/rants posted here
  3. 11 prose/stories posted here
  4. 1 NaNoWriMo winning entry available here
And thus the grand total here is 286 articles, down from the 331 articles in 2008.

That's an average of about 0.78 pieces of writing a day, compared to the 0.91 last year. Once again, I can't say that I have written any less than last year, because that NaNoWriMo entry consumed what is equivalent to roughly 76 essays/rants due to its length (and that the mean length of an essay/rant that I post here is about 800 words or so). I don't seem to write that much often these days, either from writer's fatigue or just from the general discomfort about life in general. Of particular note is the closing of the blog that Ida and I co-authored; it occurred at roughly the same time that she broke up with me last year. Nevertheless, the twothree stories that were there have been transplanted to my own prose/stories blog as republished entries, in case anyone wants to read them.

To date, I have written about 1385 pieces of writing over the last 5 years. 5 years! I can't believe that I have been writing on such a public platform for such an amount of time. And all I could remember then was that I started my first blog to record some of the poems that I was writing which I used to emote and talk about the parts of life that seemed to be going all wrong for me. 2009 has been simultaneously the most eventful and the most heart-breaking of all the years that I have lived through thus far. It is almost exactly half-a-year ago that Ida broke up with me, leaving me without a soul for a few good months, which inadvertently led to my first and ever binge drinking with my colleagues almost a month after that, which caused my first and last drunken hangover. Of course, prior to that, happiness was all abound, when I graduated from Carnegie Mellon University and was looking forward to a decent future.

And now, after that event six months prior, it seems that time and luck has both run out for me. All things that could go wrong, went wrong indeed, and I'm not even sure how I am holding on together right now. Needless to say, the past is catching up with me, and once more the future is clouded with doubt as I attempt to figure the best way to navigate through the obstacles that keep getting thrown in my way. Not an auspicious start to a new year, but we take what we can get.

So, goals! I think I've awakened something even deeper inside me after NaNoWriMo; I seem to have a stronger interest in literature once more, and am starting to have grandiose ideas that need to be put down on the metaphorical paper so that I can express the ideas that I have. And so, here's to more writing ahead.

And may 2010 be a much better year than 2009 ever was.

No comments: