Friday, January 02, 2009

Quick Summary

So, a quick summary of what I had written for 2008:
  1. 126 poems posted here
  2. 186 essays/rants posted here
  3. 17 prose/stories posted here
  4. 2 stories posted here
And thus the grand total here is 331 articles, down from the 447 in 2007.

That's an average of 0.91 pieces of writing a day, compared to the 1.2 last year. I can't say that I wrote less than last year per se, because all these numbers do not take into account the number of words that were actively typed. There's the possibility that I'm writing more by word count, since the gross total of non-poetry writing is actually 205, which is marginally more than the 191 in 2007. And since essays/prose/rants tend to outnumber poems by sheer word count (the mean number of words per non-poem writing has an infimum of 400), it is most likely that I have written a whole lot more.

I have done several fixes the blogs. First off is the use of labels to highlight specific attributes of posts. Initially I wanted to use the labels to tag the contents, but realised that it was probably more futile than expected. Second is the switching to my own custom script to fix the formatting to aid in reading. I didn't like the way in which web browsers discard the end-of-sentence double spaces, and the staid quotes, and the fact that I had to memorise many useless entity numbers to type common punctuations like the ellipsis and the dash. I liked the readability of the text under edit mode, and thus created the script. Lastly, I've managed to bring myself to fix all the numbering problems in the archive of old poems, and the haikus, and even the stanza rambles.

2008 also marked the year in which I created my own information portal as a general-purpose website to store things that cannot be stored on the blogs. In fact, most of the writing for the year was channelled to that website, and the various term papers that I had to write, including the final report for my research project.

The upcoming goals for my writing would be to write more short stories and poems, and reduce the number of rants I have. Hopefully this time around, I am able to meet these goals.

Alright, that's all I want to say for 2008. Onward to 2009 we go!

No comments: