Monday, February 15, 2010

Chinese New Year Apathy?

Some time ago, long long time ago, someone made a comment that as one got older, the feelings that one gets during Chinese New Year will slowly turn towards that of general apathy. At that point in time, I was skeptical about that perspective, thinking that it was just a cynical viewpoint of someone who probably disliked the quasi-friendliness that entailed when one was going around visiting relatives as a part of the tradition.

Little did I know that as I grew older, the sense of apathy is just overwhelming.

It's not like there was something fundamentally wrong with my relatives; it's just that it has been so long since I met them, that all I did when I visited them was to say a few auspicious words, and then vegetate in front of the television while my parents conversed with my aunts and uncles. I'm not saying that it is a bad thing, but it most definitely isn't a good thing either. Maybe it's because I'm getting older, and the child-like naïveté has almost been fully purged out of my system, replacing it with cold laconic wit (except I'm probably more verbose than laconic), causing me to have a general jaded viewpoint on the whole ``visit all my relatives'' thing associated with the traditions of Chinese New Year. But I suppose I digress.

Anyway, sleep beckons. I have been pretty much sleep-deprived and overloaded with caffeine for the last three weeks---having an extended weekend means that I can finally trade in some time to get some wonderful sleep once more. And of course, tomorrow comes once again.

No comments: