Sunday, March 14, 2010

On Extra-Martial Infidelities

Damn it! I've deleted quite a few rants that I should have completed, but for one reason or another, I could not complete them before I completely lost the thought process that generated that rant. Must be something to do with how life is always moving forward and things like that.

Anyway, I think that I need to arrest this loss of words immediately. By deleting all those half completed rants and writing somethin about them I suppose.

The world today is much stranger than what I could remember. On and off, it seems that infidelity is the ``in'' thing, from Tiger Woods down to local celebrity film maker Jack Neo. I can't understand why they fall to temptations like that---it just doesn't seem right to me that they can make a conscious choice like that. Yes, I chose the phrase ``conscious choice''. It is hard to get involved in a relationship if there is at least one party who is not willing to be in the relationship in the first place. And by hard, I really mean impossible. Think about it this way, sure, there might be one who is taking the active step in trying to cajole the other to get involved in the relationship, but if the other party remains disinterested and more importantly, uninterested, then no amount of cajoling is going to be of any help (taken partially from real world observations and erm personal experience).

So a question remains. Why do people get involved in such infidelities in the first place? Without falling into the cheap argument of how the social mores are degrading over time, I offer a simpler explanation: the need for a thrill, the need for something different yet more of the same. In many cases, I would suspect that the parties involved just wanted more thrill in their relationships, no different from that initial magic they felt in their original marriage (otherwise why would they even marry their spouse in the first place?). But this highlights a more pressing issue: why is it that they need to rely on extra-marital affairs to provide that kick that their original marriages are not providing?

This brings me to my main thesis: the fundamental of any human relationship is good and honest communication. The success and failure of any relationship is dependent on all the parties who are involved---often it is hardly the case that a sole person is ``in the wrong''; there are contributory factors from all the parties who are involved. Good and honest communication is hard to come by, especially by people who are considerably less blunt, but when properly administered, I think that it has a much better success in quickly determining potential problem areas before those escalate into truly sore points that will end up with the whole extra-marital fiasco.

But then again, I'm not married [yet], so take all these words with a certain amount of skepticism---it is just my own philosophy on how things ought to be run.

And on another note, I realised that my typing ability seems to be degraded for some reason---either the keyboard of Elyse sucks, or that I have not been typing long enough sentences for a suitably long period of time that all the coordination of my fingers are no longer in good pace with each other. Until the next time I suppose.

No comments: