Monday, September 20, 2021

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

From Smoke Gets In Your Eyes & Other Lessons from the Crematory by Caitlin Doughty:
In 1961, a paper in the Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology laid out the seven reasons humans fear dying:
  1. My death would cause grief to my relatives and friends.
  2. All my plans and projects would come to an end.
  3. The process of dying might be painful.
  4. I could no longer have any experiences.
  5. I would no longer be able to care for my dependents.
  6. I am afraid of what might happen to me if there is a life after death.
  7. I am afraid of what might happen to my body after death.
Let's see...
  1. So... just wait till the relatives that I care about are no longer around to care about it, and maybe reduce the friend list down to the bare minimum, and even then, keep only those who can understand where you might be coming from when you declare that you are done with life and would like to embrace death.
  2. If one is contented, then there are no more plans or projects that are left to be continued, for the definition of contentment is to not have things that are left undone/uncompleted.
  3. Only if we allow ourselves to suffer the ravages of time. If one can choose euthanasia/suicide, it can end relatively painlessly for the self.
  4. I don't think this is a problem. Experiences have a way of repeating themselves after a while in the sense that ``everything is just a rehash of something that I had seen before''. With the 'net being a real thing nowadays, information and experiences can be obtained at a much reduced cost than before, which allows experiences to be gotten in larger quantities for lower costs in time and money.
  5. Eh, don't have children? 🤷‍♂️
  6. That's easy to solve. Believe in Jesus Christ as your saviour, and your after-life's existence is assured.
  7. Eh, ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Only the soul (as information representing the ``you'') gets moved on---the atomic components that make up the flesh body has to return to star-dust form from which it came, to be reconfigured into some other life-form in the future.
Seems straightforward to me.

That's all the update I have for now. Till the next one.

No comments: