Sunday, April 10, 2022

Aggressive Regimen of Anti-Depressants

Oh boy, look at it! Stupid o'clock! Amazing ain't it?

Anyway, I've started on an aggressive regimen of anti-depressants. No, it's not in the form of some active ingredient buffered with filler material---it's the conscription of aerobic activity to trigger the brain to feed itself with the correct neurotransmitters to make it less depressed in general.

This being SIN city, the choice of aerobic activity is obviously not running---it's bloody muggy here, and the roads are always full of cars belching their usual catalytically converted noxious gases (compared to say the residential streets way back in Chambana).

I've gotten back to cycling once more.

Now, back in the day when I was working in one-north, I had decided to scout if it were possible to cycle to work. That thought process was triggered by the realisation that my office had showering facilities, a must have when considering the use of self-powered motion [over the long distances needed to get from home to the office] to ensure that the effort thus expended does not result in a day of sitting through some stinky sweat-encrusted clothes.

When I left that place and worked elsewhere, I thought I could cycle to work daily instead due to the much closer proximity. Unfortunately I got diverted out to the client's on-site to work, and that location was not conducive for these kinds of activities. When I was eventually relocated back to the office, I did cycle almost daily, and loved every minute of it.

Where I am currently working at, I don't think I can cycle to work---I have not located any shower facilities that are easily accessible.

But that's fine.

My current tactic is to cycle after work, doing alternate days. I figured that since I was ``not in the market for dating'', and have few people/groups to meet in general after the usual work hours [during the week days], I can totally set aside about an hour every other day to go experience that control over the bicycle, speeding through the Northeast Riverine Loop.

It's a new thing I'm starting, and so far, my body seems to tolerate it well. The anti-depressant effects from the... exercise (hur hur) are coming on indeed, and I am pleased. Hopefully I can make this into a habit to provide a more concrete cardio (and leg-strengthening) augmentation to the daily mini-exercises based on the Hacker's Diet that I had restarted again.

All these are sufficiently important to maintaining this Temple of God that I need to trick myself from giving excuses simply by following through and not accord it more thought than necessary.

------

In other news, I've started on Psychonauts 2, a 3D platformer with an interesting story line that I got for free some time back from my friend Dwight who had put up the digital key to an extra copy that he had from being a kickstarter supporter. I'm liking it so far; there's lots to explore, there's character progression to think about (quasi metroidvania), the writing is witty and funny, and they have some cool quality-of-life options like negating fall damage, negating combat damage, and overpowering the protagonist's attacks for those who play the game more for the narrative than to ``challenge'' themselves.

Naturally, I used my trusty controller for this. Also as naturally, I suck at the gliding move in the 3D platforming. And because of that, I just turned on the negation of fall damage so that things are not as irritating. Combat so far has a systematic list of counters for each enemy type, though it is not to the extent one must use the correct counter to defeat the enemy---any other combinations of other moves available to the player are also viable, though they may take a little longer.

Therer is a collect-a-thon part to the game that is so far, quite endearing, since much of the collection is relate to lore, with some (not a lot) impact on gameplay.

Anyway, I think I'm really beat. I can feel myself nodding off.

Till the next update then.

No comments: