Tuesday, September 13, 2022

I Can Haz Steam Deck Plz?

Okay, it's getting late, so I will keep this short.

This week is going to be a short week for me due to me taking leave on Friday for no other reason than to take a day off. After all, that's what paid time off or ``annual leave'' is for.

It's not a privilege but an entitlement. It's good to have a small break ever so often just to keep the burn-out monster at bay.

I'm waiting on the Steam Deck to be released in SIN city. So far, there is no indication that it will make its way here, though many signs are pointing towards that, considering how the availability blurb refers to Komodo making it available to South Korea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong, in addition to the originating country of Japan.

Okay, maybe not just SIN city, but SEA countries.

I'd love to have the Steam Deck. I used to have a Dingoo from way back when and enjoyed the times that I played it. It was mostly emulator-heavy, which was not a problem. Eventually I stopped playing on it because let's face it, many old games need to remain in the past because their interface was just atrocious as compared to what we have now, and that it was actually possible to exhaust the number of retro-games I wanted to play. I had to junk it a few months ago because the lithium battery pack was swollen.

But a Steam Deck? I can see myself playing/grinding games from my Steam library on it. The ability to carry a game's progress between systems over Steam is a big part of why the Steam Deck is so appealling despite my earlier lost of interest in the Dingoo. This means that I could [say] grind games of Binding of Isaac on either PC or the Steam Deck without worrying about having to replicate the feats to unlock features, nor do I have to worry about doing the synchronisation manually.

I'm not expecting to use the Steam Deck for long gaming periods---that's what Eileen-II is for, and also why I didn't get on board with the Nintendo portables, up to and including the Switch. Small 30-minute plays in commute are the most likely use cases---I can't keep reading forever. There are other handhelds similar to the Steam Deck (like the Aya Neo, or offerings from GPD), but they cost at least 50% more than the most pricey variant of the Steam Deck, and are Windows exclusive machines.

That latter part is a bit off-putting. For what is to be a dedicated gaming portable, running a two-ton gorilla like Windows as opposed to the gaming-centric SteamOS feels like a lot of the precious battery juice will get lost somewhere.

Anyway, as I said, this is short. Till the next time then.

No comments: