Thursday, February 09, 2023

Eirian-V Has Arrived!

Feels a bit off sitting in the proverbial saddle, but hey, gotta keep on writing if you know what I mean. Morbidly this blog has a much higher chance of out-living me long after I am dead, and that sort of terrifies me.

Just a little.

To begin with, it is a happy belated birthday to me. Something about the long weekend over Chinese New Year just screams ``don't feel like writing'' to me in a way that was hard to ignore. That long weekend passed on by quite quickly, and I have nothing much to report, other than a delightful long walk with YT on Monday exploring a bit of the western neighbourhood that I had always wondered how it looked like, followed by a reclimbing the old faithful Bukit Timah Hill, and some well-wishers from the few who still remembered when it was the anniversary of my birth.

Moving on, I mentioned some time back about getting the Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition, and finally did. Eirian-V arrived in the last week of January, and I have been using it for nearly two weeks on the single charge, clocking about 1.5 hours of reading per day.

And it's ``only'' at 55% left, which is pretty cool, considering that I was reading the higher power draw situations of full-page manga spreads generated using kcc on some CBZ/CBR collections I have lying about. That extra 0.8" of screen space (6.0" vs 6.8"), combined with much thinner bevels in general meant a greatly increased view space for very little actual increase in dimensions of the device. In English, this means that I can still hold it single-handed, and wiggle my ring finger to advance the page, albeit with only my left hand since there are no dedicated ``page advance'' tactile buttons that allow ambidextrous use the way Eirian-IV had.

I think that's about it for now. It's just a short entry to show that I'm alive, and to mark the arrival of Eirian-V. Till the next update.

No comments: