Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Tweaks and Ajustments to 5×10 and 7×13 Bitmap Fonts

Oof, that took me a while, but I think that I'm much more satisfied with what I have now than before.

Continuing what I began back in the day for the 5×10 bitmap font, with a more recent set up with the 7×13 bitmap font, comes a new iteration of both bitmapped fonts.

The gist for this iterative update is about following fixing the fonts to fit some of the readability requirements that Atkinson Hyperlegible and Intel One Mono Typeface have stipulated.

``But MT, you're trying to do readability adjustments, on fonts that are so small that everyone (who isn't you) who sees it complains about it?''

Yeah... shut up. (=

Without ado, I'll just unceremoniously put in the 5×10 font here:
And here is the 7×13 one:
And of course, after doing this for a while, it is only now that I realise that the mapping of the grid to the glyphs displayed [under CP-1252] is wrong---all the ``funny'' whitespace/undefined glyphs remain undisplayed.

🤦

I'm keeping the original versions as uploaded above just so that it is easier to visually/automatically do a comparison between the new and old forms.

So anyway, here's the corrected versions for 5×10:
And here's the corrected version for 7×13:
The main changes on the ASCII portion of the fonts is is about fixing how the 8 looks to make it more distinct from B, and adjusting how { and } looks so that they are super distinct from the other three types of enclosing parentheses/brackets/``angle'' brackets. There were also some alignment problems earlier that I corrected in this round. I also did a sweep on the upper-ASCII portions, just to make sure that they are sort-of consistent and less broken (see character 0xf7 for the 5×10 font, and characters 0xa9, 0xae for the 7×13 font).

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the result. The next step is figuring out how to generate the associated fonts so that they are usable in Xfce.

Till the next update.

No comments: