Friday, May 10, 2024

Urgent Leave---Mental Wellness Day

Urgent one-day leave taken today---a ``mental well-ness day'' if you will. Work has been rather insufferable to the point where my ``brain no worky'' (official reason submitted to my reporting manager, by the way). It was insufferable not because it was tough (it was tough), but that there were just too many things going on that I was context switching way too much, and way too hard.

Couple that with an abysmal sleep cycle, and you have ``brain no worky'' syndrome.

And so, a day of rest was taken.

``But MT, tomorrow is Saturday! Couldn't you have waited till then to have a rest?''

Eh, not really---we have a performance in the evening, so it is less of the usual ``rest day'' (it's never a rest day) and more ``go-time!'' instead.

Anyway, what I then did with the day was just something that I was thinking of doing for quite a while: do a cycling trip to East Coast Park.

And so, I did. Going down Still Road, then East Coast Park towards the City, then backtracking up the entire park towards the Tanah Merah Coast Road, through Changi Beach, before finally ending in Changi Village for ``dinner''. It worked out to something like 27 mi, which brought my Eddington Number up to E17.

It's been a while since I went up the Tanah Merah Coast Road towards Changi Village. It has changed a whole lot---there was heavy fencing everywhere with major constructions. The trees that grew next to the road/path were allowed to overgrow into the cycle path itself, which made it fairly dangerous to stick with the ``keep left unless overtaking'' rule.

The other major change was the forced switching over to the Changi Bay Park Connector at the end of Tanah Merah Coast Road which connects over to Aviation Park Road. Aviation Park Road itself had a whole lot of construction going on, which made it impossible to pass through (this is going to be a common theme today). Changi Bay Park Connector was within a stone's throw from the coast line, and it was gorgeous as it was quiet [at about one o'clock on a Friday].

The rest of the route up to Changi Village was scenic. Quite a few old trees were chopped down for some reason, with bits of their trunks left lying about.

I severely underestimated just how fast I could go without any other people blocking my way, and as a result, ended up having ``dinner'' at around 1500hrs at Changi Village itself.

Heading home from Changi Village via bus... was an experience. Loyang was a fucking mess from all the construction, as was Pasir Ris. I'm just glad that I had already planned ahead to just take the bus home as opposed to attempting to ride back---there were simply no viable cycling routes through those two neighbourhoods at all.

And so, now as I write this up, I feel my legs be tired, and my brain yearning for sleep. I suppose this is the best outcome for dealing with mental wellness day.

Till the next update then.

No comments: