Thursday, June 15, 2006

What do I do when I'm upset

Well, a close friend asked me this question recently. The reply that I gave her over the phone went something like this:

If you are upset over a long term problem, let it all out (crying is good), then, pick yourself up and think of solutions to the problem.

If you are upset over a short term problem, put aside all the sadness, put yourself together, regain composure and solve the problem at hand first. Then, when things are a little more settled, let it all out (crying is good).


But of course, that is only a light sampling of what I do when I'm upset.

Usually, when I'm upset, I'll just stay quiet. I mean, if you know me, you'd realise that I'm one who can never stop talking, be it about myself, about the world or about computers and such. So, when I get upset over something, I will end up being more reticent, and probably appear to be spaced out and in a daze.

No no no, I'm not blocking it out of my psyche, it's just that I make use of the opportunity to release all manners of emotion to take a cold, hard look at the problem that caused me my sadness. By putting aside my emotions, I find that I become naturally detached. For some reason, I work much better when I'm detached emotionally from the issue at hand to be handled; that's the best time for my analytical mind to work without any hindrance in the processing of the solution to the problem.

Just some random information on my coping mechanisms.

No comments: