Sunday, June 22, 2008

Eh, Update?

I must admit that I feel only slightly bad that I've not really updated anything here over the last 11 to 12 days. The thing is, there's so much to do over that period of time that it is starting to become really hard to "get into the mood" of writing rants of some sort.

In theory of course, this is supposed to be my summer break. But in reality, this summer break is just a thinly disguised self-exploration/recreation period where I'm supposed to make use of to learn the stuff that I had always wanted to do but never did have the time for during the academic year. Already I'm writing a Forth implementation, and simultaneously to that, I'm writing a really small stack machine implementation to test out some of the concepts of effective compilation of code, so as to make better use of the Forth dictionary when I start to implement that. There is also the issue of deriving the "smallest" working set of primitive operations, and the little stack language that I designed seems to be performing a decent enough job in helping me in that. Hopefully something really interesting will come out of it.

On a separate note, I've been somewhat confirmed for the concert to be held in December next year. This time round, I'll be solo-ing 《今昔》 by 陆春龄. It is a rather complicated piece, not because of its technical content, but because of the need for a certain level of musical maturity in order to understand and re-create the emotions that are involved in the piece. I'm rather amazed at the fact that I am actually up to the task in performing this piece, but then again it has been a good 15+ years that I've been playing on my 笛子. Sometimes it is just a little hard to remember that I had been playing for that long already.

On yet another note, there were a whole plethora of meetings that occurred over the last week. It was great to be able to meet up with some old friends just to catch up and see how things are going along. It was a pretty decent experience, and I'm sure most of the folks whom I've met up with would tend to agree with what I have said.

Alright, it's getting late and the old man feels old. Until next time.

No comments: