Friday, September 24, 2010

Run 10km After 30+ Weeks

Strange to be mumbling here once more I suppose, considering that I don't really have much to say in terms of what is going on in life now. Things are moving at a rather quiet but fast pace, and at times I do feel mildly overwhelmed. As usual, most of life revolves around this little thing called work, and thus fall into the ``I should probably not talk about them too much'' territory. On to other topics then.

What's new? So I have an idea. I wanted to train myself progressively so that I can consistently run 10km. And the time duration I set myself is about 30 weeks. That's right, I'm attempting to run 10km consistently within a time period that is slightly longer than half a year. I'm not sure if I can do it, for a variety of reasons, the foremost of which is that I am not exactly the fittest person to begin with, having sat out of physical education and physical training for the last 16+ years. But I have a simple programme, involving interval training and gradual distance increments scaled linealry (less aggressive) that will hopefully allow me to achieve my goal.

Of course the intensity cannot be too high. Recall that I'm still doing my usual twice a week sessions of Aikido. If I were to go on a more aggressive schedule, I'm sure that my muscles wouldn't be too pleased with that.

The goal is just to run 10km consistently---it is not to achieve a certain speed constraint that I would want for the run. I know that my mean running speed is notoriously bad (roughly 8.2km/h, which is about 2km/h slower than the usual speed that people use).

Hopefully I will be successful with this programme. Till next time...

No comments: