Monday, February 25, 2013

Again on Helping Others...

T'is funny you know, when someone does something for you when you are one of those people who are used to doing things for others. Especially if you are used to not being appreciated by those whom you help, those who think that it is somehow your duty to help them. It's a weird feeling indeed.

I used to like helping people. I think that I probably have visited this perspective a long time ago here, but to date, I cannot really remember if that was true. I said ``used to'' because these days I find that it is almost never in my interest to be helping anyone. It has gotten to the point where the whole affair can only be described as being rather sordid and meaningless, and at times, a complete waste of my time.

``Why the sudden bitterness?'' one might ask. It isn't so much of bitterness but a re-realisation that the world is still operating on a selfish principle, where everyone will do anything and everything under the motivations of self-interest, and if it so happens that it can benefit others as well, it just a little bit better and somewhat more morally justifiable. Sometimes I wonder just how naive I am, in spite of living for more than a quarter of a century by this point, that I keep forgetting all these little insights I glean about the sick underbelly of society.

No comments: