Friday, February 09, 2024

T's The Eve of The Lunar New Year

Okay, this is take three.

I had wanted to write an entry today, but the start always revolved around the sentient of ``yeah yeah it's the lunar new year, which supposedly represents some kind of togetherness, but that's the last thing I feel''.

Naturally I couldn't continue the entries, because it was just too negative, even by my ``standards''.

So in this take, after finishing one can of Sapporo, and well in my second one, after having some Suntory Whisky, I shall avoid all that depression-talk crap, but do bear in mind the unspoken background of that.

I finally finished watching the final AGDQ'2024 speedrun of Final Fantasy V, and the part when Garulf died hit me in ways I did not quite understand. I played Final Fantasy V before, and it is probably the only Final Fantasy game I actually completed. So Garulf's death was not unknown to me, but I was surprised to be affected enough to just cry for a little when I was watching the speedrun.

A side news that was hitting up the VTuber world was the termination of Selen Tatsuki from Nijisanji, the other large corpo-VTuber agency that is not Hololive (actual company is ANYCOLOR, kind of how COVER Corp is the company for Hololive Productions). It was a fustercluck, with implied bullying, gaslighting, suicide attempts, and the associated consequences that are still unfolding now.

I don't really follow much of Nijisanji, and even less of Selen. I only know of her from the genesis of the name TSB (Team Snakebite). But to be terminated like that, and under those circumstances, it's bad.

I'm no corpo-sympathiser. I'm no liberal leftist anarchist either. I'm more of a pragmatist---if a corporation is meant to be a money-making machine, then it is important for the corporation to invest in their money-making methods well. In the case of an entertainment company then, it is their talents that they should be investing/supporting well, since the talents' labour are what helps to bring in the initial revenue and generate the kind of intangible accounting ``goodwill'' that generates powerful virtuous cycles for recurring income and what-not.

Dropping the ball like that on their own talent like that is not just uncool, it probably is bad for business as well, no matter how much denial they put up.

And that's about all I want to say about that.

------

The past week was rough for the team and I. Thanks to red tape, our access to the production-like environment was delayed for about a month, and we were just cramming as much as we could done to reach the deadline in as functional a way as possible. It's a pretty public system meant for an international audience, so we are naturally striving to do a good enough job.

I think we pulled through despite the nonsense, but it's hard to tell till the upcoming Tuesday after the long weekend. But even before that, I just feel very drained. I took leave for today, refusing even to work the usual half-day that I would normally do. Part of the reason was also because a policy change that was revealed in month three of my first year where I am at now stipulated that one only needed to use a half-day leave for certain eves of public holidays instead of the more traditional whole day.

And thus I ended up taking today off, just to sleep in, and upon waking up, just chill about with booze and in a ``head empty; no thoughts'' sort of way.

I suppose that's all I want to write for now---I probably cannot practice the set list for this Sunday's worship service tomorrow, so I probably should do that now. This is, of course, in addition to checking up on my special item that I'm presenting with the music coordinator for both the early morning Chinese worship service, and the regular English one later on.

Till the next time then.

No comments: