Friday, February 22, 2008

Weird Day Redux

It is such a weird day. I don't know how best to put it, but suffice to say, it just feels weird. There seems to be so much to do, yet at the same time, I am still feeling strangely relaxed. I wonder what's going on.

"You look kinda different." That was a strange comment; I wonder what that means. Was it in reference to my hair and mild change in face shape (due to me getting mildly fatter), or was it something that he saw in my eyes? It is such an unnerving thought.

That aside, I think that I should be writing an interpreter for Forth. I'm always fascinated by little tools like these; the more spartan the tool, the more interested I am with it. Remember good old ed? I wrote something about it some time ago. So one of my "past-time" programming projects will be to implement a cute Forth interpreter, and maybe write ed from scratch, just for the fun of it.

And no, I've not forsaken my love of research, contrary to popular belief; apart from research, I also believe that I need to expand my repertoire of skills to better allow me to adapt to the rapidly changing landscape of the world. I mean, let's face it. Computer technology research doesn't get far back at home—everyone wants a shiny new machine and/or new drugs with better efficacy, who actually understands that behind all these innovations lies a system of computers whose algorithms were designed and implemented by the computer scientist? Even the papers that most of these technical folks write, they use LaTeX, and sure, some might complain about LaTeX being too arcane and all, but the fact is that it does produce the best digital typesetting one can get for the amount one pays (which is 0), compared to commercial word processors. And who do you think came up with that?

Underappreciation... that's always an issue that I'm grappling with, especially in the professional setting back at home. Hopefully when I do return, I am actually able to help fix the landscape and make a real impact in things in time to come.

2 comments:

roticv said...

I rather leave and work in a place where my interest is appreciated

The_Laptop said...

While that would be a rather useful take, I feel that I should be a mover rather than a follower.

Honestly, I'm never one who takes following very comfortably—one could say that I've always been a leader from young. The more adverse the situation, the more bleak the outlook, the more I tend to be able to survive it all.

Sure, I'd be brutally and horrifically scarred and all. But I wear these scars with pride and know that I had fought for what I believed in.

Of course, there's this problem of a "futile fight"—I don't think that that is the case now. There are things that I can change; why not try to change those that I can first before deciding whether to throw in the towel or not?

I hate running away from a fight that I have a 50-50 chance of winning. If there's overwhelming odds that I cannot succeed, then I'll likely pick another fight instead, but if there's a 50-50 chance, I'd take my chances and see how far I can get.