Monday, May 29, 2006

My Support People...

I'm sure most of us are not complete loners. By this I mean that there is a group of friends who are like your safety net—by being there to provide an ear to listen to, a shoulder to cry on, and maybe a brain to help think of solutions.

It seems to be prevalent among the female populace though, since it seems to be bad form for the machismo males.

Balls.

I was contemplating about this issue when I suddenly realised that my "support" group is made up largely of females!

Or was it totally made up of females?

There's Cui, Jess, MW, YT (occasionally), and maybe LL (occasionally, no rarely). Not to mention my mum, sometimes my dad. Uh-oh... I don't think that there is anyone else providing support.

Ugh. Something wrong with me then?

I hope not. But as it seems, the old adage that girls mature faster than guys in general appears to be quite tru—

I interrupt this prose with some urgent updates.

I went on a wild rampage across my contacts on MSN messenger today... I apologise. I was an absolute beast, but you are not the object of the fury and I hope that I have not offended you too much. すみません...

Sorry...

I will not be talking about the object of my fury... until much later.


Okay, now, carrying on where I left off... oh yes.

But as it seems, the old adage that girls mature faster than guys in general appears to be quite true. The girls that I discuss my problems with are largely among my age group, well maybe not YT and MW (one's younger, the other's much older [Ed: and with a child too]), but it is amazing. I'm not trying to demean the guy friends that I have, but they don't seem to do as good a job at illuminating the problem with the right light than the girls. Sometimes, the solutions given by the guys are sketchy, and the viewpoints are, at best, mediocre and pretty much too gung-ho, with little situation/emotion awareness.

[Ed: I don't believe I'm saying all this, considering the fact that not too long ago I felt as though I was way ahead of my peers. I guess the 2.5+ years in the university vs 2.5+ years in the armed forces really make a difference.]

Do I need to add that the company of girls that I keep are much better at organising stuff than the guys? But I digress...

I guess that a key reason why my support people are of the opposite sex lies in the way I have been carrying myself. I am a person with a very complex personality, and for the better part of it I'm in my most egomaniacal persona. I function very well in technical environments, but am a little hesitant with matters pertaining to the emotional aspects. Truth is, I've rarely had the chance to experience the feeling of loving and being loved, or at least, the feeling that someone is really there caring for your emotional needs. My parents have done a fine job in raising me to be a righteous and analytical person, but I think that they might have missed out a little on developing my feeling side.

Most of the time, I handle problems on my own, but ever so often when I get hit in my soft spot of emotions, things get hairy. And when things get hairy, I find myself turning to my support people for aid and advice. Thus, I think that it is no surprise that they happen to be all females. Males are traditionally weak in the regard of discussing emotion-related issues (SNAGs notwithstanding), and so... yeah.

I think I've revealed a little too much of my psyche this time.

1 comment:

David Garrett said...

I completely understand what you're talking about with the difference between advice from women, as compared with men. What you said about the "emotional awareness..." It's the difference between how the "average" man and woman think. Have you ever read "Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus?" That book talks about exactly what you're saying here, in a lot more detail than I could give you. I'd definitely recommend it, just from an understanding standpoint.