Monday, August 28, 2006

And so classes begin

After almost 3 years of living in the real world, it's time to re-immerse myself back into the pretend world of academia. Not that I've not done any studying during my brief stay in the real world, but that the pace and way of life is set to change once in such a academic setting.

So, looks like I need to re-learn all the nifty tricks of the trade that I employed so long ago during JC in order to stay ahead of the pack.

Anyway, on a separate note, I finally saw a real life PDP-11 machine! It looked so cool, with one big printed circuit board with 36 leds and roughly the same number of switches below, and next to it was the programmer's manual. It's like a dream come true to be able to see such a legendary machine.

And further down from the display case where the PDP-11 was housed, was the most powerful-looking slide rule I'd ever seen. It's like even more powerful than the Staedler one that my father passed down to me. It has inspired me to start dreaming of all kinds of scales to add to a slide rule, and it will only be time before I assemble my very own multi-purpose slide rule.

My room mates are great people. They are fun to be with, and have amazing things to share, like Hot Pockets and a colour printer. Just enjoyed an interesting dinner last night with them at Subway; am attempting to know them better as opposed to clumping with all the Singaporean students. One of them has even suggested that I spend winter at his place! I thanked him for the offer and said that I'd certainly take it up if my plan to visit Cui in Toronto is totally screwed. :-)

And so, classes begin...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy that you're happy, and even happier that you're warming up to the locals/better company or vice versa, whichever way it is, I couldn't care less as long as both work out well! :)))

Started school today too. I was a little more fortunate and managed to find a few friends before term started so I didn't get left out from the beginning, thankfully. But it's still very early, so I'm not going to count my chickens before they hatch just yet either.

Yeah, I agree, it's time to really start mugging seriously. Latin honors are craaazyy. Let's hit that 3.8, man! Haha, I feel like starting a school blog to parallel yours on American education.

Anonymous said...

You will have a thanksgiving break soon... visit me then. that's the time KKL previously visited Toronto. It's probably less disgustingly cold than in Xmas.
Debating whether to go home in Xmas. Haha. maybe I should visit you instead.