Sunday, May 30, 2010

Duality (Part 1)

Ookay, so it is once more 4am in the morning, and I have absolutely no idea why I am still awake. Anyhow, being this late in the night means that it is a really good time to be thinking about things that are a little more philosophical in nature.

I've been to America and back, and if things go smoothly, I'll probably be heading back for yet another spell. If I have to narrow down the things that I have learnt from being in the US to just one thing in human relations, it would be that people tend to be very forgetful. As time goes by, everyone's memories fade a little, and under certain circumstances, the memories fade ever so quickly as compared to others. For example, it is a known fact that I have graduated one year early due to a whole variety of reasons, and after having done so, I have this feeling that only a small handful of people actually remember who I am, let alone continuing to keep in contact with me. It is of course not a real lesson that is newly learnt per se, but it is most striking when comparing the position that I am in with the folks that I knew from America---apart from the separation by time, there is also a separation of pure geographical distance. Relativity aside, it really does evoke the meaning of the proverbial ``out of sight, out of mind''.

Yet things are not always the case---there is still another saying that goes ``absence makes the heart fonder''. In many ways, this can be seen as the pure antithesis of the previous folk saying, but I choose to view things from a slightly more holistic perspective; absence and emotions have a dependency on each other, but there is no single prescribed method with which one can predict with great accuracy that it will always be true. So both proverbs under my interpretation are completely wrong since they are designating a maxim as opposed to a less rigorous guideline. Of course there is a little nit-picking involved here since I am applying the extrema principle of taking sentences as literally as possible, consistent with a cold rational reading, as opposed to the more moderate perspective prevalent in everyday conversations.

But how does this fit into what I am going to say? Perhaps a next post might be in order (I'm getting sleepy and should probably get some rest).

No comments: