Saturday, February 12, 2022

An Early Will

In the event that I am dead, here is roughly what I would like done:
  1. Cremate and scatter my cremains into the waters off the Singapore coast---ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
  2. All physical objects I possess, burn in a great bonfire as they are no longer of any value to anyone.
  3. The money that I might have in my accounts, let them lie in oblivion in where they are stored in.
Yes, I'm well aware how this post is probably triggering all kinds of red flags. No, I am not about to off myself---perish the thought. Considering that one of the most likely futures that I am going to end up in is one where I live alone, I felt it necessary to start leaving some ``future instructions'' in case the inevitable does happen and I did not have the opportunity to write a ``proper'' will.

Naturally what is written here can and will change in the event that circumstances change. Now that I am well on my way through the middle age phase, I feel less invincible as compared to being in my teenage years, and it will progressively be worse as time goes on.

That's all I will write here for now, till the next update.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Why make a donation to the bank? You can at least donate to some nonprofit or something.

The_Laptop said...

I was thinking about this before. But then I realised something: non-profits, with all their good intentions, are at best band-aids for the real problems that they are trying to address---most real problems have deep-seated systemic issues that need either a change in mindset or a change in regulations.

As for the donation to the bank, they are already getting a good deal to begin with by holding the pittance that is my money and doling out nearly nothing for interest. They are effectively the equivalent of that worn out wallet that is used to hold whatever money I have. Since I cannot tell when I will be dead especially if I am not intending to off myself [just yet], all I'm stating is just the default state of things.

The purpose of the early will here is just to state that by the time I go, I expect to go alone, unremembered, and leaving almost nothing behind. To avoid the cleaners who have to come deal with the messes my passing will leave behind, I leave the simplest default instructions. That is all.