Sunday, February 06, 2022

Clearing Some More FPSes in My Steam Library

I feel much better today, with the much cooler weather and having a good night's rest.

I completed Serious Sam 3: BFE. Man, it was such a grind, with wave after wave of enemies. It made Doom Eternal and Doom 2016 feel like a relative walk in the part (except maybe in Nightmare! difficulty). As someone has said before, never before has a first person shooter game demonstrate extensive use of the `S'-key. For the uninitiated, the `S'-key is the backpedal key, a completely necessary movement just for survival purposes. It is one of the few first person shooter games where I relied more heavily on my rocket launcher for area damage to take out the large swarms of mobs as compared to using the most powerful shotgun that is available a la Doom. The final fight was gruelling, with a new mechanic of a jet pack and associated poles that needed to be thrown like javelins into the back of the Big Bad Final Boss to draw lightning to stun/slow down its regeneration just so that lasting damage can be done via the heavy weaponry that I had.

Very cathartic, to be had.

I also completed Bright Memory Infinite, an interesting one-developer first person shooter with mechanics that remind me of Shadow Warrior and Shadow Warrior 2. There is a mix of both gunplay, and a variety of powers-based melee attacks, sort of like the class-specific specials from say Borderlands, but without too much of the skill tree elements. It is the ``full game'' version of the original Bright Memory, a sort of tech demo of sorts. I completed this on ``easy'' though, because I really wasn't in the mood to be dealing with unnecessary difficulty.

It was still quite fun. My favourite combo was to alternate sword strikes with shotgun blasts while dealing with the ``ancient warrior'' enemies. It was also the combination that I used a lot when fighting the boss characters as well.

I tried to play a bit more Ion Fury, but was a little turned off by the rather weak weaponry. I suppose it might be time to start on Crysis---I seem to have it in my Steam library.

And with that, I'll probably turn in for the night or something. Till the next update.

No comments: