Saturday, February 05, 2022

My First [Proper] Pyramid in Minecraft

This is a prepared entry; it wasn't written near the time in which it was posted.

This week... it has been a bust of sorts. I had been feeling a tad under the weather, partly due to annoyance from work, partly because my stupid finger tips are still having those cracked fissures in them (and I need to type on the keyboard for a living, so go figure), and partly because the weather has been erratic and causing me to feel awkward in the head due to poor quality sleep.

It wasn't a complete bust, because I managed to completely clear the peninsula sand-desert that I was referring to, and built my first pyramid in Minecraft. That's right, my first pyramid. I've never really built one of those properly before---the iron block pyramids needed to sustain the beacons don't quite count.

I wanted to build the largest orthogonal pyramid (i.e. with edges parallel to the natural grid structure in Minecraft) in the cleared space, and settled with a base that was 2×20+10=50 blocks by 2×20+9=49 blocks, and a height of 37 blocks arranged in a 1--2 step pattern from the base. I ended up with that 1--2 step pattern because a single-step height increase seemed to create a pyramid that felt a little too short relative to the base dimensions.

The main building block was the sandstone that I obtained from clearing the land. But I didn't stop there---I covered each top surface with smooth quartz slabs to deal with the mob-spawn problem (I didn't want to mar the pyramid with ugly torches, and mobs did not spawn on surfaces where the lower half was a slab), and to fit the aesthetic of the original limestone pyramids being covered with white ``casing stones'' for the smooth and flat finish. Considering it is Minecraft, there was a limit on what ``smooth'' meant in an angled structure like a pyramid.

Anyway, here's how the pyramid looks at night from some height (in spectator mode, obviously):
Here's the same pyramid, but at ground level:
And here's the interior, which houses the fully-powered up two-beacon set up (Jump II and Speed II were used to make navigation on the surface of the pyramid faster) with their own topping of smooth quartz slabs for the same reason why the exterior was topped the same way.
The observant might realise that the beams from the beacon in the interior are of a different colour as compared to the ones to the exterior. That's because I added a yellow glass and a white glass at the very top of the pyramid to further shade the beam colour.

Note that the base is completely hollowed out of all sandstone and sand, with glass replacing at sea level. Mobs don't spawn on top of glass, but they spawn on the non-glass blocks below it due to the darkness of the interior. They are completely contained by the glass though, so I can keep the hollow interior of the pyramid looking as mysterious as it is this way.

That's about it for this entry. Again, this is a prepared entry that was not written at the time when it was posted---I am in no condition to be writing anything today.

Till the next update.

No comments: