Sunday, June 03, 2007

Old Poem Brings New Meaning

I was doing some cleaning up of Edythe's hard drive recently and stumbled upon this old poem written some time in September 2006:
Farewell
It is in my eyes, that tears swell and fall,
That mark the losing of a lost love.
And that of the passing of a side of me,
That I knew was stillborn.
As the night passes into day,
I slowly die off, a little more than the day before,
Inasmuch as the physical body dies a little each day.
But the blow,
It hastened the process,
And I feel that the world is no longer
The happy place that I knew it to be.
Love, thou art elusive.
Thou art my bane.
I cast thee out of my life,
So haunt me no more.
Looking back into the not-so-far-away past, the memories of what prompted the genesis of this poem came flowing back to me in drips and drabs.

It was a sad moment, really. I recalled that at that point in my life, things were all going sort of downhill, My love life was basically in shambles; thought I found a love, but it was proven to be just a figment of my imagination, my friend thought she found me a love, but it turned out that there was something very wrong with that picture also. Maybe one day when the people are no longer that close will I be able to say in more detail.

September; it was a month that I felt really sad from it all. Little did I know then that the worse kind of feeling that I would be receiving over the whole period would be the time that occurred just after spring break in March. Oh boy, that was the worst possible kind of feeling that can hit anyone. But still, September was pretty bad enough. If you've been following what I've written in The_Laptop Writes, you would probably be able to follow how my mood was changing, and how my mental state was like during that period.

Well, as I said, all these are but stories/feelings of the past; now, I'm delighted that I've found Alice. She's a wonderful person who loves me for who I am, not who I was/will be. She loves me for the faults that I have and the joy that I bring. And I love her for being herself, truthful and trustworthy, and intelligent enough to look past the spoils of the material life and look beyond into the intangibles that so govern our lives. She's the woman that I would gladly live with for the rest of my life, no doubt. She may not be of movie star style, nor is she a techno-geek like me, but her insight and view on life, her life and mine, is something that I really admire. It is so hard these days to find people who are of similar mindedness, and in her it seems that I've found what I'm seeking. I used to be so gloomy about not being able to find someone to love, but now that Alice is here, there is but calm serenity within my heart; knowing that happiness is just peeking around the corner.

Alice, my dear, if you are reading this, know that I'm missing you terribly over here in Singapore and I can't wait to be back in Pittsburgh to spend the next two semesters with you again. And no, this is not mushy; these are words spoken by the_laptop. (=

No comments: