Tuesday, June 19, 2007

rtfm mode

Yeow... So much to do, so little time to do them all. It is rtfm time for me as I trudge on into the various endeavours.

First of all, it is the venerable FL Studio 7 which I just purchased in order to put together decent music that I want to hear. This baby is a gem (and costs a fair bit despite the 10% discount that I managed to obtain through a user support site), but like all gems, it requires a fair bit of hacking in order to fully exploit its abilities. So it is back to the manual for this one before I can produce anything truly marvellous.

Second of all, it is the new Microsoft Windows Vista. No, I'm not updating Edythe to run that beast of an operating system, but since my lovely sister just bought herself a spanking new HP Pavilion dv2200 laptop which comes with Microsoft Vista Home Premium Edition together with Microsoft Office 2007 Home & Student Edition, and I've been designated as de facto sysadmin, and so I need to read up more on the intricacies of the various components. Vista seems like a lot of eye candy, but it doesn't seem to be as bad as it was originally stated, at least, for non-developing use. I can't even imagine how it would be possible to run cygwin on the thing without dramatic changes. The only irritating thing was the sensitivity of the touchpad; simplying hovering over any link/button caused it to be auto-activated.

Third of all, it is my LiveUSB project. I've just gotten myself into the "enviable" position of using at least 5 different operating systems at the same time, and thus in the event of system failure I cannot just sit there and hope for the best. So, I got myself a [relatively] cheap 2GiB thumb drive and need to proceed with loading it up with a barebones enough kernel on a FAT32 file system so that it can double up as a data transferral system as well as a system recovery tool. And since I'm such a lazy bum in terms of finding the relevant tools/software to pull this off, I've decided to hack it out from whatever I have, which means that again I need to read the manual.

That's a whole shebang load of things to read. So, until next time, I'm probably gonna be reading manuals until there is no tomorrow...

No comments: