Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fast Times Mon...

Man, what a week. You know that you are having the time of your life when you start to lose track of how time flies. And of course, by what I said, I don't mean just the fun stuff---I do mean the work stuff too.

Previous Saturday was grand, I went out with a couple of fellow geocachers to do a few geocaches in the middle of the Bukit Timah Nature Reserve region. Man, that one was a blast, since the cache hides were well executed, and the places that we went to were really quite extraordinary in many ways. There was a thunderstorm that raged on at one point, but we took shelter at one of the many huts. It was quite safe in spite of the fact that one lightning/thunder struck really close to the hut itself.

Work was quite gruelling yet comfortable in some strange sense; there is a feeling of forward progress, and with some additional advice here and there from various people, I'm starting to be in control once more.

Then of course, there was Friday, the first Friday where I begin to clear all my leave. The morning was spent at the US Embassy for the visa application, while the evening was for rock climbing at SAFRA Yishun. I think I like the idea of rock climbing and the ``simpler version'' of bouldering. Yes, my forearms were pretty sore once I was done with the place, but from the beginning to the end, I found my climbing strategy evolve from ``where's the next hand hold?'' to ``hmm, I need to go right to avoid that jutting region''. Somehow rock climbing really makes you think about the choices that you want to make and balance it against what you are physically capable of i.e. you might want to vault over that ledge, but you just don't have enough strength to bring yourself to it. According to some of the better climbers (those with prior experience), it is more about technique than raw strength, which makes the whole sport a finesse-type one, something that I can live with, probably.

Saturday was a mad scramble doing the waypoints for a particular multi-cache, and I think I did fine in spite of all the other physical activities that I had taken part in. I think my physical condition is much better now than two years ago when I first returned from the US.

So anyway, as I was saying earlier, you know that you are having the time of your life when time passes really quickly, for as common sense says that when you are doing something you love, time feels really short but when you are doing something you hate, it takes an eternity. I think I'm glad that I have managed to find pleasure in the things that I am doing now and in the future---it does have a positive impact on myself whenever I think of it in this way.

Alright, enough rambling, till the next update. Hopefully I have something more... philosophical to talk about the next time as opposed to the sordid details of my life (which I'm sure is why people read this blog anyway).

No comments: