Thursday, April 26, 2012

Running...

T'is gonna be yet another busy day, considering everything. I've been seeing an athletic trainer in the past month or two to learn exercises to strengthen the stabilising muscles in my legs so improve my running form. For some reason, I'm starting to actually like the idea of running now, even though I was always of the opinion that running was the most boring things that I could do with my time.

I suppose that my perception on running is altered by three big reasons. First, I now have a buddy to run with. Running alone can be rather boring, considering everything, since really, one is just literally moving at the slowest possible non-walking pace (there are much faster ways to get about), and in spite of what everyone says, running is a high impact exercise after all. And no, I do not ``jog''---I cannot run at a speed lower than 6 mph (thats roughly 9.6 km/h) without killing myself. Second, running is a good anti-depressant---it helps make me feel better about myself and life in general, what with that runner's high from the running, the feeling of ``being alive'' while running itself. Finally, the general locale of Champaign-Urbana makes it rather nice to run. The streets are quite orthogonal to each other, there are few traffic lights to slow things down, and more importantly, the place is generally ``flat'' enough without too many tall buildings to obstruct the flow of fresh air and other earthy flavours that make the running experience enjoyable.

I think that one of the things that I should do before I die is to run at least one marathon, and/or do a triathlon. The former, I can probably achieve in the next five to ten years, the latter, well, I'm not so sure. I've been learning a lot of how my body functions over the last few years, and that is making me prioritise improving my body over many things to ensure that I have the infrastructure to support my over-sized thinking brain (or so I hope). The end goal is that even when I'm seventy years old, I am still able to sit straight, walk straight, be quick on my feet, and can still throw healthy and athletic twenty-year-olds all over the training mat without having random fractures and other structural deficiencies.

I think that such a healthy lifestyle is achievable by me, and I will make sure that I get there.

Anyway, enough of a random rant. Work beckons. Till the next update.

No comments: