Tuesday, April 03, 2012

April Already? Damn!

Ah, the variability of the perception of time. It is strange how when one is really busy working or having fun that times seems to be so short, yet when we start looking back on the things that happened, it seemed oh so long ago even when it was just merely a week that had passed. And when we look ahead into the future, even when there is a month or two before things are due there's always this sense of dread that there just isn't enough time to get things done.

Such is the way of life that I am having now, I suppose. The passing of time is getting harder and harder to gauge, and because of that, I need to constantly remind myself about the real-time that I am experiencing through the use of various chronometers. The one that Ida gave me for my birthday a good three years ago has finally broken down for good---the analogue component wasn't working any more, and for that particular watch, it was the analogue motion that I found the most useful, possibly because it was much larger than the digital component. So now I just rely on my trusty Timex watch that I can sit nicely like a small desk clock to stare at it as the seconds count by.

April huh. That was pretty fast. Just a moment ago I could have sworn that it was still March. The weather is starting to show signs of returning to its ``normal'' schedule of a slow-rise towards spring weather. It's too hot for me to wear my jacket, and too windy/chilly still to run about in just T-shirts and jeans, and so I broke out my usual interim wear of scarf and half-finger gloves. I think it makes me look a little fruity, but hey, it is comfortable and so I'm not really complaining much.

Soon, this month will pass us by once again and yet another round of frantic movements to finish up this semester and to look forward to a summer of undisturbed research.

On another note, I've been using the new interface for blogger for the past week, well roughly starting at the time that I announced my one month hiatus from Facebook, and I must say that I still don't really like it. Unlike say the Gmail interface, there is no option to ``compactify'' things to make it take up less whitespace. Damn these Web 2.0 design mumbo-jumbo---sometimes all we want is just raw data, not some fancy space-eating nonsense. Anyway, apart from that, the text editing box now is also quite horrid---it scales according to how wide your browser window is. Now I no longer have a good sense of how much I'm writing since the damn window that I am writing all my entries in are just so variable in width!

Why do software companies like to dick around with their interfaces when it was clearly working alright before?

No comments: