Monday, January 31, 2022

More Goodbyes

Well well well... yet another New Year's Eve, this time for ye olde Chinese Lunar New Year. To many it's a day of the fabled reunion dinner, the time of great festivities and feasting, a time to temporarily set aside any differences to bring out the courtesies to avoid befouling the symbolic start of a new year.

To me, it's just Monday. And it's not even a half-day Monday as it was stated in the employees' handbook, because of the great fallback of ``exigencies of the job''. That last bit though... despite me making it sound as terrible as it is, isn't too bad particularly when I do get good cooperation to actually get the stuff done, making that OT sort of worth it.

But let's not talk about work---what happens at work ought to stay at work, unless it starts to affect my not-work.

Now to be fair, I did manage to get home in time for a simple meal with my parents a la ``reunion dinner'' style, so it isn't that bad. I just wished that I could have gotten home at the designated time instead of forfeiting it.

Ah well.

Anyway, I've started to clear the peninsula sand-dessert near my mob-farm in Minecraft. No reason why other than it seemed like a relaxing thing to do each day just to unwind after spending the whole day figuring work stuff out. Maybe I might spend a bit of tomorrow playing more of Serious Sam 3 to actually complete the game, but knowing me, it's likely to end up being yet another Minecraft event.

In other news, after 12+ years of being a regular on the ChaosForge forums, I've finally realised that it was time to go. I was effectively a global moderator guarding a cemetery against spam bots trying to find a foothold to peddle their brand of nonsense as the community has moved on to other third party platforms that have more pull, like Reddit, Discord, or even Steam. Even KK himself doesn't make any appearances in the forum for the most part---it was definitely clear that the community has moved on.

But I don't like those places. And since I cannot follow, and am sick of being the night watchman of a cemetery, I just drop out/off. I did send a farewell message to the old fogeys who were fellow night watchmen (including KK), but only God knows if they will ever see it.

There were lots of great memories I had with ChaosForge. The old DoomRL times, the play by forum (PBF) role-playing, the 3D renders of space marines doing Doom-y things, all the amusing and amazing ways to die in DoomRL... But the times have changed... hell, I have changed. KK's no longer running a labour of love any more---it's a revenue generating company with its own capital contributing shareholders that he needs to answer to now. I've always been, at best, a ``whale'' scale donator, or at worst, a bleedin' heart sucker. But no whale scale donator can ever beat the raw mass of actual capital. I'm not angry nor disappointed with his choice; I'm just sad that I hit the realisation that I can no longer follow along where he is going. I wish him all the best still, and will enjoy whatever creations that may come out from ChaosForge after Jupiter Hell---as the outsider that I have been in the past five years.

Why does it feel like I'm preparing for my own death or something...?

My life is exceedingly boring in general. I think I will stop here. Till the next update then.

No comments: