Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Messin' With the CSS to Flex

Last chance to squeeze in an entry before 2022-05 closes ``forever''.

I managed to tweak my personal web site to make it behave a little less stupidly when displaying it in a browser window that is more landscape oriented. The old behaviour limits the width to 740 px, but I used some media queries to allow the width to scale larger proportionately as the browser's width gets past 970 px, with a hard limit of 1920 px for the sole reason that I think a single-line paragraph looks really stupid.

I've also messed around with using the flex display to fit my figures, and to adjust my footer to not require the messiness that is the float display.

On the whole, I'm satisfied with the results, even though I still think that 740 px for the given font size is roughly the sweet spot for on-screen reading. But then again, not everyone uses the implicit screen-split that I do through the Windows-Left and Windows-Right key commands.

And before I post this and restart Eileen-II due to some software update, I just want to point out that the weather in SIN city is atrociously hot and humid. It is so hot and humid that the interior wall temperature at night is a blistering 32 °C.

Just let that sink in for a moment.

Anyway, that's all I have for this entry. May is about done, June is coming up, and before I know it, 2022 will come to an end and there's next year to... look forward to?

Till the next update.

No comments: