Saturday, September 23, 2023

Saaaaaaaaaaturday~!

Ah... it's a nice-ish Saturday once more, and I'm mildly annoyed at how Eileen-III's keyboard is always doubling the letter `m' as pressed ever so often.

Is it something to do with the timing from my change in typematic rate (I've since set it to 168 ms delay with 8 ms of repeat)? I don't think so---I suspect it is more likely to be related to how I conduct myself on the keyboard, i.e. my index finger when going for the `m' key on the keyboard isn't retracting fast enough for some reason. Recall that the keyboard of Eileen-III isn't quite as centred as I would like, due to the extra column of utility functions that are available on the right side.

It's not completely detrimental yet, but it is definitely rather irritating when it does occur. Funny enough, the letter `m' doesn't really appear all that of often enough like any of ``etaoin shrdlu'' characters that it becomes a massive deal-breaker.

In short, I should ``git gud''.

That minor annoyance aside, let's talk about what happened this week in retrospection. My final team member has finally started on the second week of their tenure, and the team's first big deployment for a project is coming within 7 weeks. It's exciting, it's scary, and it's a trial-by-fire moment. I have a healthy level of expectations of the team that has been put together, and I sincerely hope that they rise up to the occasion and build up sufficient expertise and esprit de corps to pull through as a team to be ready for the larger and more scarier projects to come. As a first time manager working with more than a handful of subordinates, I am definitely full of trepidation, with a healthy dose of fear that my ineptness will let the team and subsequently the entire department/pillar down.

It's that scary thought that keeps me up on some nights.

But that aside, the week marked the end of the parts of the annual appraisal process that were relevant to me. All my subordinates' appraisals have been reviewed and sent in for calibration, while my own with my reporting manager has also been done and fired off. All that is left now on this front is the waiting, and since I'm not really in this job for the purposes of BEEEEEEEEEG MONEY, as long as the outcome is sufficiently fair enough, I'd be happy.

No girlfriend, no wife, no car, no apartment means no matter how shitty the cost of public transport goes up, or how high the CPF ceiling is being pushed up, or how fucked the two-step GST hike will increase the number and magnitude of unscrupulous price increases using the GST hike as a fig leaf, my actual cost of living is low enough relative to what I'm paid that I will come out generally fine.

Not great, not luxurious. Just fine. I dare not go as far as saying comfortable, for the sole reason that I'm still living in an apartment with no air conditioning even as SIN city's mean temperature keeps rising over the years.

But I didn't come here to rant about those things (or did I?). I just wanted to sling some thoughts about here for a bit, even as that thrice damned Amazon.com bot is still scraping my blog.

To that shithead: why?

``But MT, you could always walk away!''

For what? It's not exactly harmful, nor illegal, but is definitely being a shithead. I don't walk away from legal harmless shitheads---I just get mildly annoyed at their audacity, and just move on with life.

I mean, if I didn't want to quietly share my thoughts, I wouldn't be keeping a blog (or three) in the first place, let alone having this one kept alive since 2006.

------

I went back to trying Halls of Torment again, and it wasn't too bad after the fixes. That Agony system still felt really rough to me, and I've not really decided if I liked it or not. HoloCure is still the best execution of the quasi-twin shooter variant of the formula that Vampire Survivors popularised, even though that Stardew Valley-esque ``HoloHouse'' bit is a confusing addition---on the one hand, why a farm simulator in the middle of a reverse-bullet hell game; on the other hand, it does help with the gold meta due to a half-decent ``passive income'' set up through the ``hiring'' of gold miners that need to be fed with either fish or farm-grown produce.

I think I'll try to push Control as far as I can today, and once that is done, I might go back to my solo-world Minecraft to build yet more railways, this time to one of the new biomes having sakura that comes from release 1.20. I know that version 2.0 of Cyberpunk 2077 has released, but it's still a bit too close to my last playthrough for me to be interested in going for it again. I do have one last life-path (Streetkid) left to try, which can justify playthrough number 3, but I have other games in my stable to play through as well.

And I suppose there's that for now.

Whelp, the 1.5× coffee (3× for regular folk) is finally kicking in. Time for some Control, then some practice for the hymns for tomorrow's worship, perhaps on one-key flute (I haven't decided), then TGCO rehearsal in the evening.

Till the next update.

No comments: