Monday, September 10, 2007

I Have Deactivated From Facebook

The first step in solving a problem, is admitting that you actually have one. I realise that I no longer have any interest in what my "friends" do on facebook. Most of the things that happen there are just like how they happen in real life; people still do the same act of exclusion. I realise that most of my perceived social problems stem from the vicarious emotions I obtain when I see what other people are doing. At least in real life, I can always ignore what I do not see, but under the omniscience of the social networking tool of facebook, I cannot help but end up knowing things that I do not want to know about.

So, I have deactivated my facebook account. No one will find me there anymore. The mere thought that people that have ruined my life in one way or another are capable of still extending their tentacle of effect on me via a passive medium is something that makes me cringe deeply. In the far future, when I am more comfortable, I might just reactivate the facebook account. I will still keep the blogs for now; at least the talk-back on the blogs are well-regulated by me, and I can still keep it semi-personal.

I will definitely not hesitate to take down the blogs if I realise that they are starting to send me on that downward spiral of negativity as the combined effects of facebook and real-world drama.

On a similar note, I will also be reducing the amount of "online" time I spend on instant messengers. If you (as the reader) have a pressing need to contact me, you should be able to find alternative resources to achieve your goals. There is always the email, the blog comment, the telephone and the snail mail techniques.

I have admitted the problem: I am too reliant on technology to satisfy what is essentially a humanitarian need. That has been the fault with which I am now suffering for. I may be a CS major, but it doesn't mean that I must love the tool that I use for my livelihood.

That's all I have to say for now. The blogs will still be maintained and updated semi-regularly.

2 comments:

roticv said...

Just a question mun thye, do you take number theory modules?

The_Laptop said...

Not really... I dare not do those modules, simply because things like Number Theory demand that we have strong intuition about the math behind it (which I don't really have a good feel for).

So, yeah.