Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Music, B♭ and E♭

So apparently, my stamina in swimming seems to be improving by leaps and bounds. I can start to swim more confidently in the water, at roughly the same speed as before, but without feeling all kinds of strange strains that I used to feel when I first rekindled my swimming.

Apart from the swimming, my flute skills are also starting to show some kind of improvement. My fingering for the B♭ and E♭ major scales (necessary for all the Kiltie band pieces, probably because of the saxophones and clarinets, which are transpose instruments in E♭ and B♭ respectively) are a little more stable than I started, and I sort of got the hang of the sound of the A major scale (a wonderful scale to play, something which would have been very hard to play on my 笛子). Slowly I will be able to master the intricacies of the western flute, while synthesizing what I know from my 笛子/saxophone/flute/ocarina/harmonica playing to produce a technique that is even more powerful than what is traditionally used (I'm not a traditionalist in terms of playing the instruments).

Oh, did I mention that my pinkies are slowly limbering up through all the practice and stretches that I put them through?

Next up: hard core music theory and composition techniques. Soon, I will have more interesting things to put up. I realised one thing—taking real courses for things that I like tend to end up killing the interest that I have in the subject. I mean, sure, I still can do what I need to do, but all that "regimentation" just makes the whole process more of a chore than something that I enjoy doing. This means that at this point, Computer Science is just an interesting topic; it is no longer my love per se. I'm gravitating back to music, which I fight hard to keep it something fun for me, as opposed to Computer Science, which is still fun, but not as fun as before due to the fact that I am actually going to rely on it to provide for myself in the near future. It seems kind of ironic that I am feeling this way, but it is how it goes, I guess. So despite what KY keeps on telling me ("dude, you should take courses"), I still refuse to take any formal lessons on anything music-related. I will not let another fun subject be killed off by the awful regimentation from the mass-education system.

Alright, I think I've ranted enough. Time to finish up that proof, and then it is off to bed I go.

No comments: