Monday, October 22, 2007

I Die When I Sleep, And Reborn When I Awaken

Every night when I sleep, I die, and in the next morning when I awaken, I am reborn. This cycle of rebirth has occurred for quite a while, ever since I realised that my life was destined to be that of suffering, and joy is something that I cannot be able to partake in without worrying about the potential bitterness that will come just around the corner. It is not a nice way to live, I know, but sometimes, one has to make do with what one has. To be alive at all is a blessing of sorts; many a child never had the chance to see the light of day, for they perished even before being able to exit their mother's womb to see the world for themselves. Life is transient, life is pure, but no one is born exactly the same; some must suffer, while others must enjoy. It is in the order of things that things are the way they are. Some say that it is because of the stars, others the planets, and yet others claim that it has something to do with how the elements are formed during the time of birth, or even the way the name was chosen.

I'll keep it simple, and just say that it is fated. There are so many things that we all want, but how many of us can really obtain all that we desire? Humankind has tried to address this issue by instituting the concept of fairness through the division of labour and the division of the rewards, but society has been unforgiving and have doomed all such schemes to failure.

I know my lot in life is to suffer. I am but a cog in the giant machination that drives the entire human race forwards. Perhaps there are some people who care for me; the vast majority doesn't. I will not want to harm nor upset those who care, but neither do I want to live in a dream where everything is possible but none of them are achieveable.

I'd rather keep my nose to the grindstone and work away than to float about in the clouds and not be grounded about the reality of it all.

No comments: