Monday, July 28, 2008

Edythe-EEE Has Xubuntu Now

And with some effort and plenty of help from online, I've finally managed to get a working Xubuntu operating system working on Edythe-EEE, my ASUS EEE PC. The only caveat here is that it is running Gutsy Gibbon instead of Hardy Heron, which, at the current stage of things, isn't going to be a really big problem right now. Perhaps in the future, I'll need to reconsider this step, but for now, as far as I'm concerned, this set up is already great as it is. Check out how it looks like:Granted, it doesn't really look like much, but with this upgrade of sorts from the original watered-down Xandros version, it is so much better and can thus support my programming and work better.

Oh, need I mention the fact that I'm typing up this post right from Edythe-EEE herself? The one big drawback that everyone seems to bring up is the fact that the keyboard is absolutely tiny. In my opinion, it is not as bad as it seems to be, once you are a decent enough touch-typist of course. The sheer size of the keyboard means also the rather lack of tactile feel of the keys, or rather, the tactile response. Thus, the keys will require a fraction bit of strength more than the usual larger keyboard.

I also realised that the problem that I was facing earlier with regards to the Ethernet port not working on Edythe-EEE was the fact that a cold boot was required. Apparently, a power cycle was necessary to ensure that the network adapter is recognised. This is the only quirk that seems to have occurred during the two times that I did the whole reinstall. Hopefully, this problem will not surface itself again.

Now I have yet another machine that I can use to deploy for the various projects that I might have in mind. Meanwhile, let me see if I can hack out something that is a little more useful to me at the moment.

Also, I'm never going to run Microsoft Windows on Edythe-EEE. It is pointlss; she has only 4GiB of internal storage, so installing that bloated operating system and the whole shebang to make it squeak along is not acceptable at all.

Alright, that's all for now, perhaps. Till next time.

No comments: