Sunday, January 02, 2011

Quick Summary

So, a quick summary of what I had written in 2010:
  1. 113 poems posted here
  2. 90 essays/rants posted here
  3. 10 prose/stories posted here
  4. 1 NaNoWriMo winning entry available here
And thus the grand total here is 214 articles, down from the 286 articles in 2009.

That's an average of 0.59 pieces of writing a day, compared to 0.78 last year. The general lack of writing is not really due to tardiness about my part, but that there are a lot of things that I cannot write about because it involves things related to work. And since I spend most of my time at work, that in itself is a large omission that leads to the general reduction in the amount of writing I do.

I have fixed the URLs to be more reflective of the sites that they are linked to, and have resurrected the old non-specific link to act as a direction board for all the material that I have just in case folks were still using the old URL in their hyperlinking system.

Compared to last year, there were much fewer emotional roller coasters. Ida is starting to become a passing memory, and my short stint with Mint is starting to get into the phase of being faded away into oblivion as time goes by. I have more or less not bothered myself too much about the whole relationship issue, and from that, have discovered a whole new avenue of inner peace. Work has picked up suddenly over the course of the last few months, with the intensity so high that I hardly can tell which day of the week I am in---time just passes ever so quickly.

I have more or less successfully excised myself from a few of the social groups that have been causing me more grief than happiness, a sort of tribute to one of Regina Brett's rules. That said, I highly encourage readers to look for the 45 rules that Regina came up with when she turned 45 (not 90, which was what the chain email said when I first received it)---those rules make a really good guideline on how best to live life.

In many ways, I found that 2010 was a year where I grew even more, being enlightened on more than one occasion about how the world works. Though the path ahead can be rather annoying, at least I have a better peace of mind, and can more or less sleep soundly should I actually have the chance to. These couple of weeks have been quite trying, what with the general festive occasions juxtaposed with the heavy theories that I need to read, understand and resynthesize as a part of some of the work that I am doing. Now that the end of year is officially gone and a new one has begun, it is almost as though a second wind were blowing through my very self and giving me the much needed impetus to forge on ahead.

But of course, in the process of aging and gradual enlightenment, one does start to realise that there are many uncertainties in life that needs to be looked into at some point, not necessarily in the present. Quoting somewhat indiscriminately from one of the films of the Matrix series, one truly ``cannot see beyond a decision that one does not truly understand''. The lack of understanding of a decision prevents the ability to at the ramifications and consequences of the choice that was taken---this is not cyberpunk bullshit but something that is rather rooted in reality. In AI terms, this can even be thought of as the horizon problem, where the particular AI algorithm is unable to provide a good solution because it is lying beyond the level in which it is allowed to search.

People seem to feature strongly in 2010. Folks who made my blood boil are having fewer occasions of doing so due to the above-mentioned excision, while I have also strengthened some of the bonds that I had with some of my oldest friends. Everyone seems to be suffering from various problems---sometimes when I empathise with them, I feel indignant about them having to deal with all the nonsense. But I suppose these are just issues that everyone have to deal with at some point in life.

So 2010 is over, and 2011 is now. There are still a few rough edges that need dealing with, but I do have a good feeling for this year, no matter how small it is.

Towards a better future!

No comments: