Sunday, January 31, 2021

Sometimes One Really Needs Physical Strength

``One of the greatest things that a Christian can do in his/her life is to serve.''

That's the vibe of the message that I have been getting through the aether; okay not the aether but from the different siblings in Christ that I have met.

The funny thing is that, this isn't really new to me. It is more of a reminder of a me that had been erased out of existence due to the sour taste of being taken for a sucker.

I used to be one of those helper-type people---always happy to help about in any way that I can. It was not because that I was expecting some kind of great cosmic pay-off---it was just a way of passing the time [in some sense] after having completed the responsibilities that I had. There was a certain sense of satisfaction when I just got things done, whether it was for my own things, or for others.

But over time, the sense that I was getting exploited grew. I wasn't expecting remuneration for the things I did (that was strictly for things relating to work only), but a certain sense of appreciation of my often voluntary help, instead of just a general level of indifference, or worse, like demanding that do/redo according to what the person is saying, regardless of the correctness/relevance of what that person is saying.

As they say in the army, what starts off as a favour eventually will become a responsibility.

Perhaps there will be a day where I am more free with whom I help. But today is not this day.

------

I spend an enjoyable day helping my other sister unpack her furniture for her new place with her husband. I brought my ``brick'' (the Swiss Champ XLT), ratcheting driver set (including small allen wrench heads), and my rubber mallet down. All the tools were used in one way or another, and the task that she had thought would take days was completed within the day itself, with her father, her husband, and another friend assisting on different aspects.

It was the kind of task that I had missed doing. I was just glad that I could help. It also made me think about the earlier chunk about service in general, which was an associated thought from some words that the pastor had said to me after Saturday's service.

Everything will work out in its time.

And with that, I will stop here. It is a short update for sure, so till the next time.

No comments: