Saturday, January 15, 2022

Well... A Fortnight Has Passed...

With the blink of an eye, the work week is over.

And that was the second week.

Working in a mostly empty office is a mixed blessing. On the one hand, silence except for the humming of the blowers whenever the air-conditioning decides to kick it up a notch means lots of concentration time. On the other hand, it kinda sucks that I am mostly just talking to myself, even during the ``down'' time in between handling units of work. It's a new team that I am working with, and it's nice to observe them and make small talk to learn more about each other's idiosyncracies, obviously not in a destructive sort of way.

My working title is finally confirmed after the many different versions that I had seen; that's also a good thing.

Reading is kicking back into gear, with my old plan of handling The Economist first going well. Considering that I now have about 2 hours of reading time from all the commutes (and perhaps another 30 min during the lunch break), that's ample to get through an issue---I take roughly 3--4 hours to handle one issue of The Economist.

One thing I've noted is just how fit most people seem to look even during my short walk to and fro from the office to the bus stop. Perhaps it is a case of them being nearly twenty years younger than me, or perhaps it is just their choice of attire---everyone was wearing either some kind of ``active wear'' sports clothes (think yoga gear, then think running gear; both sexes), or some kind of mid-riff baring barely there body-con clothes (for the females), you know, symbols of being youthful and by extension, fit. I'm glad that I am no longer at 80+ kg though, but that said, I still have another 10 kg to go to get to the regulation mass.

Ah well. I'll get there eventually.

I'm rediscovering eating places in Harbourfront Centre. They tend not to be as crowded as the ones in VivoCity nearby, and have a certain ``home-y'' kind of feel, like an old friend from a more quaint old time. So far I've eaten at Yoshinoya, Pastamania (for the pizza), Hitoyoshi Sushi, and Dunkin' Donuts. There is a ramen place that I would like to try, as well as a couple of other chain casual restaurants (including Pizza Hut, Elemen, and Crave).

Closer by at Seah Im, I'm pending the trying of some char kway teow, after having sampled quite a few of whatever's available in the evening spread across the fraction of stalls that were open.

------

I spent a little bit of time yesterday just building yet another rail extension in the nether, this time connecting my end portal station to my mob farm station. In many ways, my mob farm station is fast turning into a mini-hub, being the stop-over point for the second farthest station (the jungle biome, while the farthest station is the one waaaaaaay out in the quarantine zone for fighting the wither). A day or two ago, I ended up digging out yet another floor of my hill top base, effectively creating some kind of underground building complex. I just wonder how far I want to take it though... while the materials obtained is always welcome, I really should start thinking what I would like to do with all that space.

Maybe forcing an artificial village for trading purposes? It doesn't have to be 100% legit by bribing/dragging/kidnapping villages from the ``nearby'' village---that's where the semi-survival nature of this map comes into play; I will do enough of the grind work as long as it is fun, and when that stops getting fun while I still need to use that resource, I don't mind just conjuring something out of thin air using creative mode.

It's literally my own world that I play just for fun---no need to deliberately make my own life difficult here.

I guess that's about it for now. Till the next update, whenever it might be.

No comments: