Sunday, November 09, 2008

All Xubuntu Are Intrepid Ibex

How strange it is to bat an eyelid, and find that the week has passed us by ever so quickly. One moment we were trying to rush through the jobs and homework that we need to do, the next we are just literally sitting there and waiting for something to happen. The strangeness of it all, and I do mean the perception of time of course, that even though things are happening at the same rate (time moves equally fast for all of us), not everyone has the same feeling for time. It gets curiouser and curiouser…

It has been a rather tumultuous fortnight; I basically was see-sawing between extreme levels of productivity and extreme levels of inactivity. I suspect that this could be a result of the cold weather and the fact that it is the semester crunch-time, though I do not really have any way of showing this other than making the observation. This weekend was really a lull-ish one; the upcoming week has so many things that are due that it is not even funny anymore. But overall, I have a slightly better confidence over this semester's classes than the last—I just need to put in a bit more effort to ensure that I end up getting the results that I want/need. The classes this semester are not entirely hard; they are just relatively time-consuming. But that just boils down to time management, and I think that I'm starting to get the hang of this.

That said, the last two days were mainly systems-y stuff. As noted previously, I have had Intrepid Ibex Xubuntu running on Edythe-EEE. Previously, I have upgraded the VM in Elyse to run Intrepid Ibex also. Last night, I set up Intrepid Ibex for Elyse's alternative partition, but for some reason, the upgrade backfired and left me without a bootable Xubuntu partition. That was when I decided to just wipe out and reinstall the x86-64 version of Intrepid. That partition was mainly for work, and when I needed the extra horsepower (and RAM), so there was nothing there that I could recall that was not mirrored somewhere else.

The overall feel of Intrepid is alright, considering that things are still not broken after installation. I've not managed to test to see if the new kernel is really as spiffy as everyone says, but I think that the quality can be seen in the fact that Edythe-EEE, an underpowered high-RAM machine, can run it with little to no delay, I think that at the very least the bloat in Intrepid hasn't gotten to the point that it requires a tremendous amount of horsepower to work with.

That's all I have for now though. Sorry.

No comments: