Sunday, August 29, 2010

iAmBack

Some time back, I mentioned the existence of an iPod Shuffle that I managed to get my hands on. gtkpod was working for it for a while, but it got too messy, because most of my music stuff is done on foobar2000, which is not really a Linux program.

Why foobar2000? Because it is awesome with a really small footprint, unobtrusive interface and the ability to play almost every existing audio format that we might want. Of course, it was annoying that I needed that iTunes program to talk to the iPod on Windows XP, and that's why my iPod shuffle has gone the way of the dodo, sitting in a corner gathering dust.

Until now.

foo_dop is a life-saver. Apart from the small snafu of requiring administrator access levels to do the hardware writing, it does a great job in syncing with the hardware from within foobar2000 itself. This means there is new life for my iPod Shuffle, as my running tool. Not because I like Apple products, but because it is sort of unobtrusive when one is running with little extraneous stuff. To be fair, the iPod Shuffle has a really small form factor, and is thus suitable for running with.

Heck, the built-in clip is just screaming to be used for running.

Now I have an excuse to run even longer, with more high tempo music to sustain me.

No comments: