Saturday, March 24, 2012

Blog Writing?

Is blog writing no longer in vogue? It seems that the people whom I once knew were semi-prolific writers have either gone underground or gone away and have not been writing much at all. Is the art of the proverbial ``brain dump'' no longer that applicable in this time and age of short texts and fast ``status updates''?

While I like to use Facebook's status update function to do supposedly witty one-liners, I find once more that the rather short space there is very limiting for my general verbose nature. This is part of the reason why I even started this ranting blog in the first place, since the poetry one was deemed to be a bit too restricting in terms of allowing me to write whatever I want, however I want. But anyway, I think that I digress once more.

Sometimes I wonder if the current trend of brevity is a good thing for us all, whether our attention span is affected by all these rapid communication techniques that we have at our disposal. While I can't really speak for others, I feel that all these new-fangled social media mumbo-jumbo has affected the way that I think and act in many ways, not all of them good. I am starting to find it hard to construct well-reasoned arguments since all these new communications channels demand a much faster turnaround time. Actually, come to think of it, it is more than just communications---almost everything has its expected response time shortened and that annoys me to no end. I might write more about this some other time, but it is getting rather late here, so I shall stop right now.

Till next time.

No comments: