Saturday, March 10, 2007

Modular Battery Rules Supreme

Interesting day. My new modular bay battery gives extra juice to Edythe; instead of the theoretical limit of 4 hours of battery life, I'm now looking at a cool 8 hours of battery life! Like most things in life, there's a trade-off; with the modular bay used for the battery pack, I can't have the DVD drive attached to the same modular bay. Not that is is going to be a really big problem, considering the fact that most of the stuff that I need nowadays are from online instead of from some disc source; anyway I just bring along the DVD drive if I know that I might want to need to use it or something.

Yes yes, I know it costs money, but I'm now turning into a real mobile code warrior. That battery pack is going to save my butt again and again as I trudge around the campus trying to buy time to get things done. In that regard, I've just ordered a screen protector to keep the LCD as blemish free as possible. Bringing Edythe around in my backpack means that the central portion of the LCD will often undergo quite a fair bit of stress, which means that the display can get kinda "scratched" by the keys on the keyboard at that region. In line with my new "mobile code warrior" image, I need to ensure that the screen is well protected, so that I don't need to rely on crazy cleaning stuff in order to make the screen much more visible (since I usually set the brightness to the absolute minimum and thus a dirt mark on the screen appears as a very big blob of stuff).

Hmm... now for some stock take. Edythe has:
  1. Extra modular battery
  2. 1 External 120GB hard drive on USB
  3. 1 Wacom graphics tablet
  4. 1 External 500GB hard drive on USB/Firewire
Guess that it should be enough for now.

Edythe is so powered up now that I have no idea what else I might want to add. Mobility is such a powerful concept...

No comments: