Tuesday, March 09, 2021

Missing the Pasar Malam

I had a bible study session with my care group today. It was a little detour from the study of Romans, heading back to the Old Testament for some background information for the upcoming Romans 9.

Other than that, it was mostly watching more VODs for ESA 2021 Winter, and some light reading.

I did head out of the apartment for a short walk to get some light snacks (there goes OMAD... but I will catch up on it), and realised that I missed the whole pasar malam concept. It's all that different food that was available---like the kebabs, the Ramly burgers, the Thai iced teas, the Taiwanese sausages, the grilled mushrooms, the ersatz ``bird's nest'' drink.

Then there's all the sundry pop-up shops with some haberdashery stuff, cooking utensils...

I don't know if the pasar malam will ever return. It does feel like the kind of thing that would just quietly die away if there is too much inertia from its return.

This whole idea of having stopping inertia making things harder to return scares me on many levels.

But it is getting late, so I may write more about this some other time instead.

Here's to the pasar malam.

Till the next update.

No comments: