Friday, March 26, 2021

HATTEFJÄLL

Man, how many levels of procrastination can one person go?

So I was self-aware before about wanting to complete Feudal Alloy and Halo 2 from the Master Chief Collection. Then I am now side tracked to Cyberpunk 2077, and mentioned yesterday about wanting to spend today playing Cyberpunk 2077 something fierce.

Well, I procrastinated against that today and watched more YouTube videos, before deciding to replace my really old (circa 1995(?)) folding chair with something that had better lumbar support [over the current zero lumbar support]. At the location where one would expect something to provide support is nothing but a big gap, and man does it hurt something awful.

There had been some days where I did a lot of reading, then at the end of the day, when I turned in for the night, I found myself having all kinds of weird lower back pain. It turns out that sitting upright and ``leaning'' into the middle-back support region of the folding chair screwed up enough of the angle that it caused me some lower back pain.

Long story short, I spent time searching on IKEA to find a comfortable chair, and ended up selecting the HATTEFJÄLL Office Chair in Gunnared Medium Grey. No arm rests because they get in the way of everything anyway. I was rather worried about the height of the seat from the floor, because I actually sit at a desk that is at the bottom of a loft bed structure from 1995. No, I do not sleep on top of the loft bed---the central metal ``stud'' has sagged over time from all the tension, and even though it is rated for 80 kg, I am a little bit too close to that (76-ish kg---I have put on some weight due to less discipline in controlling junk food consumption this month) to safely sleep on it. So I just use the bed section as a storage for my futon-esque thin mattress that I lay out on the floor to sleep each night.

Anyway, back to the chair. The HATTEFJÄLL chair was quickly purchased (and picked up) at the IKEA Tampines store, because it was simply the closest, and was quickly assembled after I brought it home.

I am sitting on it as I am typing this, and I must say, I like it. It reminds me of the old typist chair that I used in my National Service Full-time days. I never really liked the high-backed chairs---I don't usually like to lean my head on to things if I am sitting upright. I know many people love their high-backed chairs to bits, but unfortunately, that isn't me.

But a good solidly built low-backed typist chair? Bliss to me. There are some of the more plastic-y typist chairs that are out there, relying on plastic struts for support. I don't like those for the simple reason that the plastic is more likely to crack and break on stress, as opposed to being compressively strong (like wood), or deform to adapt to the forces (like metal).

There is still time for a soirée in Night City after dinner---and I think I will do so.

I consider today's IKEA outing as a warm up to help my friend move house [again] tomorrow.

Till the next update then.

No comments: