Thursday, March 25, 2021

Wafu Beef Wazen

Today was a sort of reading day, though it did involve me going out to a different place to do my reading as opposed to doing it at home.

I deliberately eschewed lunch just so that I could have the Wafu Beef Wazen at Ichiban Sushi, or more specifically, the branch that was at Hougang Mall. It's a cosy place, and thanks to the time I chose to reach there (at around three o'clock), there was no line to speak of. I like the Wafu Beef Wazen set meal there---the beef atop the cheesy tofu on a hot wok with tempura and other goodies is just a delightful mix of Japanese-styled cooking.

Usually when I get to Ichiban Sushi at Hougang Mall [during this sabbatical], I would just pull up Eirian-IV and do some reading, usually one of the two periodicals that I often read (The Economist or 2600: The Hacker Quarterly). Naturally, today was no exception.

After the meal and just hanging around reading the periodical of choice for the day (it was last Saturday's issue of The Economist), I just did some window shopping.

Actually, that last bit is not completely correct. I had a few things that I wanted to get, namely:
  1. Lubricating eye drops for the next month;
  2. Beard trimmer for shaping moustache.
I managed to get them without much effort. The beard trimmer I got was the ER2405 by Panasonic. I liked the design because it was cordless, and had a rather extensive guard that doubled as the comb. Compared to the M90 by Braun that I own, that guard is a plus.

The M90 that I have is mostly for stashing away in the office for those weird last minute ``big meetings'' situation that may require a quick touch up on the shave. It's a good product, but it is not that great a daily driver when I want to use the beard trimmer to tweak my moustache.

And yes, I am intending to grow my moustache back. I know I reported in a previous post that I had taken it away as an experiment in tackling the skin dryness. Part of the other reason was the difficulty in keeping it relatively tame since I had to rely on eyeballing with a pair of short scissors, as compared to using the beard trimmer, or as my barber calls it, ``machining the moustache''.

Now that I have upgraded gear (and a nice tub of non-greasy moisturiser), it's time to try it out again.

The only other interesting thing that I wanted to add was a conversation that I overheard while at one of the shops in Hougang Mall.
FEMALE EMPLOYEE
So she wanted to buy that to surprise her boyfriend, and I know how she feels about it.
MALE EMPLOYEE
How would you know how she feels about it, you don't even have a boyfriend!
FEMALE EMPLOYEE
Hey! I don't have a boyfriend now, but I had boyfriends in the past, okay? So I know how she feels.
MALE EMPLOYEE
Uh huh, if you say so... I mean, it's not like I can verify it, right?
I think that for tomorrow I would just spend time enjoying Cyberpunk 2077, sojourning in Night City.

On one final note, the reason why the game is called the way it is comes from source material of Cyberpunk the pen-and-paper role playing game. That was part of the reason why the hype was so real (the other was all the tentalising trailers and promises that were made but not necessarily kept [yet]).

That's all I have for today. Till the next update then.

No comments: