Wednesday, March 31, 2021

It's a Hot Ass Day

Woah, early [relatively speaking] rant!

It's a hot day. I've been avoiding getting into Night City due to the thermals likely going to be an issue, but eventually, I'm just going to head in anyway, just because.

The built-in Intel GPU of Eileen-II is starting to demonstrate instability, where the display was just flickering ever so often. It even ended up with an actual BSOD crash with VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE from igdkmd64.sys. The flickering comes about nearer the evening time, when I watch YouTube videos either off of WaterFox or even Google Chrome. There were also some flickering issues when I was doing other things that did not involve video playback, but those were the most likely to trigger the effect.

For a while, I was confounded, thinking that it was something to do with the device driver.

I tried to update it, and found that the situation did not change. Hence, I brought the device driver version back to the original on.

There was a suspicion that f.lux was at fault, and I tweaked the settings a little last night, turning off the option of using the GPU for better quality, and forcing the use of the Windows internal colour table---only time will tell if this is the solution.

Since I undervolted the CPU also, and faced some of these weird flickering before, another possibility was that the CPU voltage had transiently dropped low enough to trigger a flickering. So I tweaked the offset to −90.8 mV instead of −92.8 mV.

Ideally, I would only do one of the two changes to better isolate the problem, but I was just getting tired of having to deal with randomness, and just wanted to maximise the chances of stopping the issue. I can do the proper isolation process when I found that the solutions have arrested the issue, and only if I have the time and the wherewithal.

Today's the last day of March, and I am eagerly awaiting for tomorrow to come so that I can disburse the next spending money to myself again.

That's all I have for today. Till the next update.

No comments: