Saturday, August 25, 2007

Touch down!

After being airborne for so long, it feels so good to be back on the ground in a place where I am much more familiar with. The entire day has been pretty uneventful, which is good; I don't really like flight plans with surprises whatsoever. Ended up sleeping for most of the flight(s), but it is okay, I guess.

It feels strange to be back here again; I managed to meet up with some of the folks that I hung out with last time, but this time, everything sort of feels not quite the same as before. Could it be that the summer has altered all of our perceptions on things? Anyway, I think that this is not the time to actually start to worry about these things, because honestly, there is much that I need to do during this semester, from handling the much harder courses (than last semester anyway) to dealing with my new lifestyle (of actually getting more involved in the community). Worrying about whether folks still want to talk to me or not should probably be among the last things that I need to worry about. This semester will be a lonely yet not-so-lonely one; I know better than to give my best to people and not leave anything for myself. The world needs more selfless people, but totally selfless people are just idiots who know not the meaning of self-preservation.

Okay, enough of all that talking. The flight plan was not too bad, though I felt that the transit between Chicago O'Hare and Pittsburgh was a little too rushed, since there was a need to clear immigration and customs procedures before re-checking in my luggage. The other thing that made it really nail-biting was the fact that the two terminals (the international and the domestic one) were on opposite ends of the airport itself. To my delight though, there was a skytrain that could provide a much faster commute between the two terminals. If not for the skytrain, I would have been worrying about booking yet another flight to be able to get to Pittsburgh in time. That coupled with my usual large steps and high pace count walking meant that I could just meet the time needed to arrive at the gate. Talking about a close shave.

And so, after touching down in Pittsburgh and taking the cab back (it was really too late and I didn't want to take a stupid bus, speaking of which, Ricky still owes me 20 bucks for his share on the ride), I lugged my luggage all the way back up to my new room. The next day was spent on moving the whole ton of cartons of stowed away stuff that I left in KK's basement.

It was really tiring, moving everyone's containers (from mine, to Alice's, to Kishore's). My feet are completely sore now, and I owe both Justin and Laura a nice meal each for helping me out with my stuff. I seriously think that I should start sending some of my books back home; I realised that most of the mass of the storage cartons come from that of the books.

Anyway, it is indeed time to move on. I'm going to get on with my life now and hopefully, things will turn out as well as it should be.

No comments: